How Tibia makes you better at life

Everything connected with Tibia topic.
Hinata
New user
New user

How Tibia makes you better at life

Post by Hinata »

I really hope this post fits into the Tibia MMO topic. It's not necessarily in-game related, but I think there's value here. Games have gotten a bad rep, and I want to do my part in changing that. I need all your help!

So, I am thinking of writing a Blog post. I wanted to share a high-level overview of it here, since the motivation came from Tibia after I returned to the game as an adult (played for a year when I was younger). I realized there were valuable skills and ideas I picked up in the game without even noticing (not things like typing speed- although I'm @ 110 wds/minute thanks to Tibia :)). I'm more interested in the life-skills.

The post would be something like "How MMORPG's make you better at life". What do you Tibians think? Are there important lessons/skills you learned/gained in the game that transferred to the real world?

Points/Sections (Tibia <> Real life metaphor). I hope to add more, these are what comes to mind as I write this.

1) Exp and Skill training <> Personal-development: Takes time, discipline, perseverance, routine to develop ones-self. There are no short-cuts (unless you have some kind of unfair advantage). Shows results over periods of time. I remember sitting there training my distance level for so many nights. That was basically my engineering degree/fitness plans summed up. It was monotonous, but it was necessary. Over time I would see results which would drive me to get back into the training pit (gym, library).

2) Seeking help from/collaborating with other players <> Networking/Mentorship: Learning from others' mistakes/achievements, working with peers vs working against them, using others as resources, passing the info on to next gen/new players. I remember not using other players as resources in my first few weeks. I'd be running around hunting rabbits for meat in Rookguard trying to make a quick buck. A few conversations with players happy/willing to help took my game to the next level. After that I always sought help from other Tibians before making major decisions (i.e. where to spend the next month hunting). This was critical in RL. Picking a college, career, financial planning, etc. There were tons of people around me willing to share their experiences, I just had to ask :) ). Ofc, sharing what you've learned on to the next generation (players, adolescents) is important too!

3) Quests/Venturing into new geographies/trying different things! <> Exploring different cultures, activities, vocations: Not simply sticking to one plan in life because it seems like the best. Not falling prey to sunk-cost bias (sticking with Pally because you've put in 3 months into the Character, realizing Mage can be fun or more your preference). I never tried a second vocation until a year after my first. This was dumb and taught me to break out of the vicious sunk-cost bias. I switched University programs, tried internships in 5 different roles, played numerous sports. I eventually picked something, but the lesson here was that the first choice is not necessarily not the best one for you.

4) Balancing in the fun <> Balancing in the fun: My friends and I would sometimes hunt dragons at together (and die) or gang up on other groups of Tibians for sport. Was fun and a great way to unwind after a week of hunting (added flavour to the game).. but sometimes we'd get too into it and die over & over or spend days waiting around for helpless victims. We'd always talk about how we could've been hunting/earning gold. RL lessons: leisure/breaks are super important. But don't abuse them. Learn to think of time as a resource like anything else (X hours spent are $Y lost, so to speak).

5) Supply/Demand <> Supply/Demand: Might apply more to other games I've played, but certain items/resources would fluctuate in price over time or in different servers. At a young age I remember jumping from server to server (different game) buying bulk of a resource for 5-10 GP each less than avg and up-selling for 5-10 GP on others. Was a great lesson for a 12 yr old.

shawtay
Donator
Donator

Re: How Tibia makes you better at life

Post by shawtay »

Tibia definitely helped me with my typing, and at my job, I need to be fast at typing. I think one thing I regret is not learning another language. English is my only language but I know for others it really helped them with reading and writing English. How cool would it be for Tibia to have voice chat included without the need for Discord?
~Playing from Pacera~