Big chatterer
Character: Lejonhjartat
Guild: Lionheart Society

Paladin Distance Skill Training [Part 1/3]

Post by caducbn »

Lionheart Society Library
Paladin Distance Skill Training
Book 03 - Chapter I

As I write these words, my hands still shake from the exhausting repetition in search of the perfect shot… I really hope that every drop of sweat that now trickles down my face turns into liters of blood from my enemies. Lejohnjartat

Introduction

I've heard hundreds of reports from paladins on how to improve skills with ranged weapons. Much of what was said was a waste of time, but I found pearls among the fallacies.

Whenever I thought about it, two questions kept resonating in my mind: Is it really worth so much effort, expense, and all the time devoted to it? And yet, what would be the most efficient way to raise my skills?

In these writings I gathered everything I learned, the tests I took and the results I got. Each week I will share a chapter from my writings. These are not empty words, but written by hands callused by years of dedication and training. I hope this knowledge is as useful for your journey as it is for mine.

First things comes first

The first thing to know is how skills advance. Beforehand it is necessary to make it clear that they advance in a very similar way to the level, but that there are peculiarities to each type of skill.

When looking at the level, there is a table with the amount of experience points needed to advance each level. Although the game doesn't make that clear in relation to skills, it follows the same reasoning. There is a certain amount of skill points from distance fighting, sword fighting, fishing and other skills, which are needed to advance each new level. This amount varies according to different vocations.

In my studies, I figured out how many points are needed to advance each new Distance Fighting level, see Table 1 below. Remember that the top distance skill is currently at skill 142 (as of August 12, 2021).

Table 1

Note that skill advancement follows a very aggressive progression. For example, the difference between the first placed in the current world ranking (distance 142) and the second placed (distance 140) is equivalent to advancing from the beginning to skill 123. The chart below makes this in evidence.

Chart 1

How does the Distante Fighting skill advance?

The advancement of the ranged attack skill does not happen in the same way as melee attacks. The ranged skill advances when we hit a target (successful hit), when the shot is blocked by armor (blocked hit), and even when we miss (missed hit). I noticed that if the shot hits the target (successful or blocked hits) we advance faster than when the shot misses (miss hit).

Image Blood Effect - Successful hit
ImageSparks Effect - Blocked hit
ImagePoof Effect - Missed hit

The more detailed explanation is that there is a possibility to gain from 0 to 3 “skill points” per shot. Each missed hit randomly generates 0, 1 or 2 points, while each successful or blocked hit usually generates 2 or 3 skill points. See the table below, in which I registered the advancement of a skill, shot by shot:

Table 2

If you notice, in the table 1 with the skill points, to advance from skill 21 to 22 it takes 86 distance exp points, exact amount conquered in the test and demonstrated in Table 2.

A recurring question is whether we need to be hit every 30 or 60 seconds to keep training. This is a myth for distance training. However, until the first successful hit (taking the opponent's life points) is given, no other shot will give skill points.

Another consideration is that Burst Arrow and Diamond Arrow shots seem to behave slightly differently due to the “never miss” feature. We can cover this in another chapter later.

It is important to make a caveat about the periods when the Tibian God grants his grace to double the experience points and skills gained [Double Exp/skills]. These days all forms of training give you double skill points.

What is the real effect of Loyalty on skills?

Characters who have been on the journey for at least 1 year [of premium time] gain additional skill points. It’s simple, but I'll demonstrate it with an example to make it easier to understand.

A character with a distance 95, 43% to go to the next level, has accumulated 1,045,803 skill points so far (you can do this calculation following Table 1). For this character to advance to distance 96, he needs 42,557 more points (98,969 points x 43%).

Let's assume that he has been awarded by the Tibian God with Loyalty 5% [accounts with more than 360 days of past premiums]. In this case, he gains another 52,290 skill points (1,045,804 x 5%).

If he needs 42,557 to raise distance and gained 52,290, the result is that the character will advance to distance 96 (95 + 1 Loyalty) with 91% remaining to distance 97 (has already advanced 9,733 points).

Now, let's continue our example, and suppose he's increased his loyalty to 10% [720+ days of premium]. In this case, he will receive bonus 104,580 skill points (1,045,804 x 10%). These additional points aren´t enough to advance to distance 97, but will reduce the remaining percent from 91% to 43%.

In practice, when we train we accumulate base skill points disregarding Loyalty. But as his bonus is automatically dispensed, it gives the impression that characters with higher Loyalty advance skills quickly.

Remember that the value of distance that counts for highscores and bazar disregards loyalty, so the expressions “distance on the website” (without loyalty) and “distance on the bar” (with loyalty but without teams) was created.

What are the forms of training?

It needs to be clear that you can train Passive [Offline], Active [Online] and Accelerated [Exercise Bows]. Each of these will be explained in the next few chapters of this book.

If you have information to suggest or questions, please leave it below in the answers. I will do my best to respond as quickly as possible.
Royal Paladin [Venebra]
Um peregrino em busca da sabedoria que vem do Alto.
A pilgrim in search of the wisdom that comes from Above.

DarkGladir
New user
New user

Re: Paladin Distance Skill Training [Part 1/3]

Post by DarkGladir »

Hey, great article, I've found 1 error though, perhaps I didn't understand it.

You said:
The more detailed explanation is that there is a possibility to gain from 0 to 3 “skill points” per shot. Each missed hit randomly generates 0, 1 or 2 points, while each successful or blocked hit usually generates 2 or 3 skill points. See the table below, in which I registered the advancement of a skill, shot by shot:
But the table below this text shows all missed hits generated at least 1 point, never 0.

caducbn
Big chatterer
Big chatterer
Character: Lejonhjartat
Guild: Lionheart Society

Post by caducbn »

DarkGladir wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 11:01
Hey, great article, I've found 1 error though, perhaps I didn't understand it.

You said:
But the table below this text shows all missed hits generated at least 1 point, never 0.

Hello DarkGladir, how are you?

In this case it didn't happen, but I have registered it in other tests. It's probably due to rounding in the calculations.

I preferred to leave it as a possibility because the "Miss hit" happens and sometimes the exp bar doesn't change.

Hope it helps :)
Royal Paladin [Venebra]
Um peregrino em busca da sabedoria que vem do Alto.
A pilgrim in search of the wisdom that comes from Above.

shawtay
Donator
Donator

Post by shawtay »

Very detailed article thank you :) @Dark Gladir you've got a good eye for details lol
~Playing from Pacera~